Preserve your family history by converting your photos, home videos, and paper documents to digital formats. This will help preserve your family’s heritage in a digital archive for future generations.
The Legacy Lab at Emily Fowler Central Library is a self-service digital archiving and conversion lab that provides you with the tools and the training to digitize your family’s memories. You can scan, access, or convert:
- Documents up to 11”x17”
- VHS Tapes and other camcorder cassette tapes
- Photo prints, negatives, and 35 mm slides
- 8mm or Super 8 film
- Audio Cassettes
- 3.5″ floppy disks
What You Need To Know
- The equipment is available on a first-come, first-served basis. We strongly recommend making a reservation beforehand to guarantee equipment availability. You may submit a reservation online by clicking here or call (940) 349-8752 to make an appointment.
- The Legacy Lab is self-serve. The first time you use the equipment library staff will provide an overview of the use and how to access the training materials. After that, you will convert all of your own materials.
- Information and instructions for the equipment can be found on the “Equipment” page.
- Customers must have a valid Denton Public Library card or technology card and complete a Legacy Lab Borrower Responsibility Agreement at the time of use.
- Your initial session time to use the equipment will be for three hours. Your session can be renewed if no one is waiting to use the equipment. Customers must be at least 10 years old to use the equipment.
- The Legacy Lab is to be used for the purpose of digitizing personal/family collections and materials of a civic, cultural, or educational nature. Copyright law prohibits copying commercial works.
- When transferring from analog, such as VHS or audio cassette to digital formats, media will be captured in real-time. Be prepared to stay with your material to monitor the conversion.
- Check out the “Getting Ready” page for tips on preparing your items for scanning.
- *** Please bring your own portable media storage such as a USB drive, SD card, external hard drive, or writable (W or RW) CDs or DVDs. ***
Read more about the equipment, useful links and to make a reservation Denton Library Legacy Lab