Listen to Story
The Parks and Recreation Department will host the annual Martin L. King, Jr. Day Commemoration Program on Monday, January 16. This year’s theme is taken from the title of Dr. King’s 1964 book, Why We Can’t Wait. Pastor Reginald Logan, pastor of New Galilee Baptist Church in Sanger, Texas will serve as the keynote speaker.
Dr. King discusses the nonviolent movement against racial segregation in the United States. There are numerous movements taking place in the United States are once again making revolutionary history. Nonviolent advocating and not waiting to respond wisely, quickly, and in love will continue to move our county progressively in the plight towards unity.
Celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin L. King, Jr. with community members. The program will also feature presentations from the DAVID Ministerial Alliance and the Catherine C. Bell Award, entertainment and more. Immediately following the event, refreshments will be served. Staff contact: Cheylon Brown, Parks and Recreation
- 11 a.m. Flag football begins at Fred Moore Park Football Field
- 2 p.m. Rally begins at the UNT
- 2:30 p.m. March begins at UNT & TWU
- 2:45 p.m. March connects with community members at Fred Moore Park and continues to the MLK Rec Center.
- 3:15-3:30 p.m. Program will begin immediately following the march
Source: City of Denton