In an emergency meeting on Monday, April 6, Denton’s City Council voted to adopt Governor Abbott’s March 31 Disaster Order GA-14. This order began at 11:59 p.m. on April 6 and will continue to 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, April 30. This is an extension of the previous order with some changes and additions (from City of Denton):
- If religious services cannot be conducted from home or through remote services, they should be conducted consistent with the Guidelines from the President and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC);
- All non-essential City of Denton Municipal Court proceedings are postponed until after April 30, 2020;
- All City of Denton utility non-payment shut-offs are suspended, without penalty or interest accrual, through April 30, 2020;
- Up to $750,000 of funding is authorized to be spent for COVID-19 response activities;
- Up to $50,000 of funding is authorized to be spent to increase utility assistance; and
- An additional $50,000 of funding is authorized to be provided to the United Way of Denton County to assist individuals and families living in the city of Denton, who have experienced income or job loss directly resulting from COVID-19, in eviction avoidance, for a total of $100,000 authorized.