94.4 F
Friday, July, 12

Denton Curbside Collection Service – Changes October 1st.

Denton Stories

Denton’s KUZU 92.9 Celebrates Seven Years with Music-Filled Events

Denton’s community radio station, KUZU 92.9, is set to...

City Seeks Resident Input for Upcoming Audit Priorities

The City Auditor's Office is inviting residents to participate...

From the June 28th, “Friday Staff Reports to City Council” Government

The Friday Staff Report to City Council provides weekly...

City of Denton Removes Discriminatory Language from Cemetery Deed

The City of Denton has officially removed discriminatory language...

Independence Day Celebrations in Denton set for July 2024

Denton, Texas, is gearing up for a vibrant and...

What services are changing? 

Starting Oct. 1, 2019, customers will see a change in a select number of their curbside collection services. Weekly trash and recycling collection will remain the same, but services like bulky item collection, brush collection, and yard waste collection will be updated.

Bulky Item Changes 

For bulky item collection, customers will now be able to place two bulky household items (excluding construction items) at their curbside every week and have them collected after scheduling a pick-up with Customer Service. 

Brush Collection Changes

Customers will still be able to place up to four cubic yards of brush at their curbside and have it collected as a part of their monthly rate, but now, all brush collection will need to be scheduled with Customer Service to be picked up. For any brush over four cubic yards, customers will be billed at $75/hour in quarter-hour increments ($18.75/15 minutes). 

Yard Waste

Yard waste will now be a subscription-based service that customers must opt into to receive service. Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, and weeds that are placed in bags or containers. There will be two yard waste collection options:

  • Cart Service: Purchase a $20 Cart (one-time purchase. Customers may have multiple carts) with a $0.50 monthly service fee. Customers with carts can also put out an unlimited number of kraft bags at no additional charge.
  • Kraft bags: Place an unlimited amount of paper kraft bags at curbside for a $1 monthly fee. Kraft bags are available at local hardware or retail stores. Plastic bags will not be picked up.

To opt into yard waste service, call Customer Service at (940) 349-8700.

Why are these services changing?

The services are changing to better fit customer needs, improve service equity, and increase routing and collection efficiency for yard waste and brush.

How do these changes benefit customers?

Customers will benefit from the increased customer service they will receive from these changes. They will also benefit by being able to customize their service. Yard waste collection is a service that may not be needed all year round, so customers can opt in and out for the months they need the service. Customers may now also combine their yard waste and pre-vegetative food waste to reduce the amount of waste going to the landfill. 

How can I opt-in for yard waste pick up?

Call Customer Service at (940) 349-8700 to opt-in for yard waste collection.

Where can I buy kraft bags?

Kraft bags are available for purchase at local hardware stores. 

How can I get a yard waste cart?

To opt-in to yard waste service and request a cart, call customer service. Carts are available for a onetime fee of $20 per cart. Customers may purchase as many carts as they’d like. Customers with a cart may also place an unlimited number of kraft bags at the curb for collection. 

What is the difference between brush and yard waste?

Brush includes limbs, branches, and bushes, while yard waste is designated as grass clippings, weeds, and leaves. 

What is considered a bulky item? 

Large household item not related to remodeling. Examples of bulky items include sofas, lamps, and chairs. Large items that can be collected for an additional fee include: 

Other VOD Stories

  • Construction and demolition waste such as lumber, brick, fencing, drywall, carpet, and fixtures.
  • Televisions, monitors, laptops or anything with a screen.
  • Any appliances containing PCBs or refrigerants such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners or water coolers. Refrigerants are disposed of properly at a permitted disposal facility.

What do I do if I have excess waste? 

To dispose of excess waste, call customer service at  (940) 349-8700 to learn what disposal options are available and the proper procedure to follow. 

Which collection services do I need to call for pick-up? 

  • Brush collection
  • Bulky item collection
  • Home chemical collection
  • Electronic collection
  • Remodeling refuse

Sign Up For Weekly Newsletter

Great way to stay in touch with all of Denton’s news and events. We don’t sell or spam you, so sign-up today!

Support Voice of Denton - Get a Gift