68.6 F
Denton
Friday, April, 19

City Council Invests $3.7 Million in Park Improvements

Denton Stories

Lauren Thoden Appointed as New City Secretary of Denton, Texas

The City of Denton, Texas, announced on April 15,...

From the April 12th, “Friday Staff Reports to City Council” Government

The Friday Staff Report to City Council provides weekly...

From the April 5th, “Friday Staff Reports to City Council” Government

The Friday Staff Report to City Council provides weekly...

From the March 29th, “Friday Staff Reports to City Council” Government

The Friday Staff Report to City Council provides weekly...

From the March 22nd, “Friday Staff Reports to City Council” Government

The Friday Staff Report to City Council provides weekly...

Denton Municipal Electric Announces Rate Increase Effective April 1

DENTON, TX, March 20, 2024 – Denton City Council...

From the March 15th, “Friday Staff Reports to City Council” Government

The Friday Staff Report to City Council highlights significant...

City of Denton Enhances Website with Accessibility Features

In a significant advancement towards digital inclusivity, the City...

From the March 8th, “Friday Staff Reports to City Council” Government

The Friday Staff Report to City Council offers insights...
Listen to Story

Earlier this fiscal year, the City Council approved a series of transformative park improvement projects, investing $3.7 million dollars from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding. These projects will revitalize community recreational spaces and amenities, paving the way for more vibrant and accessible environments.

Joe Skiles Park

The much-awaited improvements at Joe Skiles Park are slated for this Fall. The $520,000 ARPA allocation will finance the construction of a loop trail, a new pavilion, and irrigation systems. Additional enhancements include shade trees, a play structure for children aged 2-5, and a replacement of existing tennis court fencing. The project, due to complete by late spring/early summer 2024, will also lay the groundwork for future illumination, an amenity desired by the community.

Carl Young Park Phase 2

In response to community engagement efforts since December 2022, the park planning staff are set to commence construction this fall on a $700,000 expansion project for the Carl Young Sr. Splash Pad. Using an ARPA allocation of $150,000, additional parkland dedication and development fees, the project will introduce four vertical components, additional ground sprayers, expanded equipment and pump room, benches, and shade opportunities, enhancing the aquatic experience for the community.

Denia Park

At Denia Park, improvements include the completion of a loop trail, a connection to the Eagle Creek neighborhood, irrigation installation, tree planting, softball field enhancements, and adherence to ADA accessibility requirements. The project, funded by $1.3 million from the ARPA and parkland dedication fees, follows public engagement sessions in February and March. Construction is scheduled to commence in late fall or early winter.

Trail Projects: Expanding Pathways, Enhancing Connectivity

In a major move toward enhancing urban connectivity, the park planning staff has submitted a detailed grant application for $13,714,880.00 to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) to fund the Pecan Creek Regional Trail. The project will develop 3.1 miles of crucial segments as per the recently approved master plan.

Under this program, the City’s responsibility is a 20% match, amounting to $2,742,976.00, which will be covered by an ARPA allocation of $1,430,000.00 and remaining parkland dedication and development fees. The remaining 80%, a substantial $10,971,904, will be reimbursed by TxDOT upon successful implementation. This trail project aims to revolutionize mobility within the city. Grant awards will be announced in October.

Overall, these initiatives symbolize a significant stride in enhancing the city’s recreational infrastructure, shaping vibrant, accessible, and engaging environments for the community to enjoy.

Sign Up For Weekly Newsletter

Great way to stay in touch with all of Denton’s news and events. We don’t sell or spam you, so sign-up today!

Name
Support Voice of Denton - Get a Gift