Listen to Story
October 10th is National Take a Walk to a Park Day! In honor of the national holiday, we would like to highlight the benefits of walking in nature.
Most everyone knows the exercise benefits of walking, but did you know walking outdoors in nature has other mental and physical benefits? Walking itself produces serotonin, which helps our body and mind feel happier and reduces stress, anxiety, and depression. Walking in nature also helps the feeling of restoration, especially after a prolonged period of stress or a highly intense event. Walking in nature improves your overall health by increasing your Vitamin D levels and boosting your immune system. Nature provides a sensory stimulation experience; therefore, both your senses and brain get extra activity, increasing memory, and cognitive improvement. You can make walking a perfect way to socialize and receive even more benefits. People who exercise in a group tend to be more consistent in their exercise and have enhanced benefits of reduced stress and anxiety and increased cognitive function due to the social aspect.
Group Walks Offered:
- We Hike Wednesdays: Every Wednesday 10 a.m. – Noon, Clear Creek Heritage Center. The first Wednesday of the month is Women’s Hike Wednesday. Guided hikes from Denton Parks & Recreation staff through our nature preserve
- Dementia Friendly Nature Walks: held through November 9, 10-11 a.m., rotating parks. The caregiver must accompany the person living with dementia. Guided hike led by Texas Master Naturalists from the Elm Fork Chapter with Dementia Friendly Denton County support to walk through some of Denton’s parks.
- Halloween Hike: October 28, 6-8 p.m.; Eerie guided night hike through South Lakes Park Nature Trail.
- 50+ Hike at Clear Creek Heritage Center: November 4th, 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.; Guided hike from Denton Parks & Rec staff through our nature preserve. Meet at the Senior Center for transportation.
- Lake Forest Hike: November 19th, 1-3 p.m.; Guided Hike from Denton Parks & Rec staff through natural trails at Lake Forest Park. Meet at Denia Recreation Center for transportation and caravan. Ages 5 and up
Source: City of Denton